Student Resources

1. What are the key areas within psychology?

There are a number of key specialisations within the field of psychology, which were discussed at these events. Many of these areas have professional groups (Colleges) within the Australian Psychological Society, and registered psychologists who are members of the APS can elect to join them. A general description of the role of a psychologist is available here, while the following are a series of links to descriptions of these specialist areas. You can also find links to each area's college on this page.

Some of these specialties are: 

2. How do you become a psychologist?

To work as a psychologist in Australia you are legally required to be registered, in the same way medical practitioners and solicitors must register to practise. All practising psychologists are now required to hold a current general registration with the national Psychology Board of Australia (PsyBA).

The Psychology Board of Australia
Phone: 1300 419 495

Which courses can be used towards registration? 

The Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) decides whether a tertiary education course can be used towards registration as a psychologist.  To find out if a course you are considering can be used towards registration, check their website.

Links to a selection of tertiary courses 

The following is a list of institutions which offer higher education in psychology, and who presented at the above events.

There are also numerous active student bodies in the area of psychology in Victoria. In addition to groups like ours others such as the Neuropsychological Students' Society, which welcome postgraduate students from all universities, exist.